There is currently one funded opening, see below.
I also sometimes accept self-funded PhD students, if the research interests are sufficiently aligned. If you have an idea for a project (and a source of funding, such as DAAD or your national funding agency), let’s talk.
I also sometimes accept research interns (advanced Master’s students) for the summer. I have had interns that brought their own funding (RISE, DAAD), and have in exceptional cases also provided funding for interns recommended by other labs I have collaborated with.
Postdoctoral Researcher, NLP (Conversational AI / HRI / SDS / L&V)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time, fixed term position as a Postdoctoral Researcher with the “Computational Linguistics Lab Potsdam (colabPotsdam)” (headed by Prof. David Schlangen) at the University of Potsdam, Germany.
The position is available from February 01, 2022. (Earlier or later dates negotiable.) The position is for 40 hours of work per week. The salary is determined by the collective bargaining agreement for public employees in Germany (TV-L 13 Ost).
The duration of the contract is for three years (in accordance with Section 2 subsection 1 of the German Academic Fixed-Term Contract Law (WissZeitVG)). (Shorter terms are negotiable.)
The post-doctoral researcher is expected to take an active role in the research activities of Prof. Schlangen’s research group. The exact topic is open, but should relate to the interests of the group (situated dialogue, language & vision, incremental dialogue processing, computational semantics, natural language generation, human/robot interaction).
The position carries a teaching load of four class hours per week per semester in the Computational Linguistics BA and/or MSc, specifically covering classes on neural network-based NLP. This could consist of two separate classes, or one class + lab.
The position will also bring opportunities to collect experience with supervision of student projects and developing grant proposals.
- A PhD in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science or related fields (defended by start of contract)
- Experience with current NLP methods (e.g., deep learning) and good writing skills, as evidenced through publications at top venues (e.g., *ACL)
- Strong programming skills
- The working language of the group is English. Very good spoken and written command of English is required.
Experience in one or more of the following fields is desirable: situated dialogue, spoken dialogue processing, multimodal interaction, grounded language, human / robot interaction.
The beautiful city of Potsdam is surrounded by rivers and lakes and supports a wide variety of recreational activities. It is part of the Berlin metropolitan area, one of the cultural and scientific capitals of the world. The city of Berlin is within commuting distance, and many researchers and students choose to live there. The region offers a high quality of urban life at comparatively still modest costs.
Handicapped applicants will be given preference in case of equal suitability. The University of Potsdam strives to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and specifically encourages female applicants to apply for this position.
Open until filled, but first round of interviews planned for December 2021.
To apply, send the following documents as a single PDF:
- Statement of research interests that motivates your application
- Curriculum vitae, including your list of publications
- Your PhD dissertation and/or other writing samples
- If available, coding samples or links to your contributions to public code repositories
- Scans of transcripts and academic degree certificates
- The names, affiliations, and contact details of up to three people who can provide reference letters for you.
Address for applications and queries: email@example.com